The Great Gatsby: F Scott Fitzgerald




The Great Gatsby, as the name suggests, is about a middle aged, extremely rich man, Gatsby. It gives a glimpse of Gatsby's life - his lifestyle, his freinds, his interests and more importantly, the biggest irony of life.

The Great Gatsby has one of the best opening that I have come across. As soon as you start reading the first word, you are totally into the story. The book is quite small in size and has your attention in every page. It has a nice twist in the end which comes as unexpected. The last 40-50 pages are the best part of the book.

This book is classic, and as it so often happens with me, I didn't love this classic. I wouldn't say the book was bad. There was nothing in it that made me close it, but in the same way, there was nothing in it which made me love it. Yes, the book is well written, the irony is wonderfully portrayed - but still, the book didn't work for me.

I tend to like books which make me pause and think - I should take back something from the book. And in case of The Great Gatsby, there was nothing I took back with me apart from this beautiful quote:

"Whenever you feel like criticizing someone, just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had."

0 comments: