Even cowgirls get the blues: Tom Robbins



After I was floored by Jitterbug Perfume, I picked up another Tom Robbins' book Even cowgirls get the blues with a lot of expectation and the book lived up to it.

As with any Robbins' book, it's pointless to discuss the plot. How would it sound if I said, 'this book is about a girl with abnormally huge thumbs, whose profession is hitchhiking and about a spiritual guru named Chink and a ranch run by a band of cowgirls'. Not interesting, right? Robbins' book is not about plots. It's about humor, the interesting use of words, the absurd-yet-funny way of bringing in two different disconnected topics and connecting them together. Oh, you should read his book to believe it.

This is probably Robbins' most acclaimed book. It's even made into a movie, which I came to know only after reading the back cover. Robbins creates extremely interesting characters for his books. Considering that this book was first published in 1976, it touches upon rather controversial subjects. The author generously puts in enough graphical scenes - I don't see the need, though. The book is interesting enough without those pages.

Though I liked this book, I still prefer Jitterbug Perfume to this, probably because it was my first Robbins book.

Wikipedia entry for Tom Robbins says
His novels are complex, often wild stories with strong social undercurrents, a satirical bent, and obscure details.

I agree with the complex, wild and obscure details part, but I fail to see the satirical bent. May be I don't have enough grey cells to understand it. All I know is Tom Robbins is a lot of fun.

If you read Scott Adams' blog and enjoy it, then it's highly likely that you will enjoy Tom Robbins' books.

0 comments: